Monday, November 15, 2010

Watching Hockey in High Definition

Contributed by Maria Ruiz

Of all the major sports, hockey is the only one capable of capturing the hearts, minds and ulcers of sports fans of all ages. It begins with the fact that hockey is a game that is fundamentally catered to close, low scoring games. There is no such thing as a blowout because goals are so scarce, the defenses buoyed by hulking men on skates whose sole purpose is to push around the dainty, more elegant skaters who try and score goals. When I watch my favorite team, the San Jose Sharks, execute their defense to perfection, I weep in joy as what I am watching is truly a work of pure art, serving no practical purpose other than to enrich the soul.

The water fills my mouth whenever the hockey season starts, frosting as I imagine myself on the cool ice. That is how real the experience feels when I watch hockey on my high definition television through the NHL Center Ice package. Every game, every bone crushing hit, every slapshot, every goalie stop, every pugilistic endeavor gets captured by the brilliant colors and high resolution. Truly, I feel that I am watching something that not only pumps the adrenaline by quiets my rage, and while that may sound like a paradox I assure you that when I watch hockey on my satalite tv, these feelings are real.

No comments:

Post a Comment