Friday, November 19, 2010

No More Varsity Blues

Guest post written by Kevin Beach

When I broke my leg during the fourth quarter of a college football game in 1998, I knew that my season was over. Unfortunately, the backup running back earned the starting role the next year after having an excellent season the year before. I was never able to make the starting team my senior year and failed to be drafted to the NFL. For some reason, I just couldn't practice as hard after my injury. I don't know if I was just too scared or that I didn't care anymore.

One weekend, I set the Security Choice home security alarm and headed over to a friend's house to watch Sunday Night Football. Halfway during the game, he mentioned how well I ran in college and that I should join the local football team that had just formed. After a few days of thinking it over, I gave it a shot. Not only did I make the team, but I'm also the starting running back.

I strength-train three times per week, and the coach has talked me into trying out for the Carolina Panthers - the closest professional NFL team to my home. I'm having a better season than I ever had in college; in just three games, I have run for over 500 yards. I'm very excited about my future and will continue to work hard to achieve my goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment