Monday, November 22, 2010

Flag Football: Beating The Zone

Guest post from: Mohamed Simon

I love the game of flag football. And believe it or not, I have learned a lot from it. I played football in high school as a receiver, but we pretty much ran the ball on every play. And even when my number was called, it would simply be a fly pattern. I took this approach to the playground for pick-up games as well. I would just attempt to run past the other guy. Well, 5-on-5 flag football has taught me a lot. If a defender plays man, I use my speed. But if a defense is playing zone, I now know how to beat it. And it's ridiculously easy. All you have to is find a hole in the zone and sit in it. This doesn't mean to sit on the ground in a literal sense. It means you pick an open spot and turn toward the QB. Once you receive the ball, you try to do as much as you can with it. Instead of trying to score on every play, it's a way to work your way down the field. Last week, I got all geared up, set my home security alarm (pricing home security), and headed to the field ready for a good game. To my surprise, the other team played zone the entire time despite the speed they had. This made no sense to me, but I was happy about it. I didn't score many TDs that night, but we slowly moved our way down the field, frustrated the defense, and won the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment