Thursday, December 2, 2010

Converting Fans

Guest post of the week by Roscoe Harris

I grew up in Pittsburgh. While that might not mean anything to some people, those who are from the area understand the pride instilled in me for anything from the area. I grew up enjoying everything the city had to offer. This naturally includes the passion and love I have for the professional Pittsburgh sports teams. Sure, laugh at me because I still follow the Pirates. Though they are on the longest losing streak ever, I am still loyal to them. I'm just thankful that the Steelers and Penguins make up for it!

I moved away from Pittsburgh after graduating college. I was offered a job opportunity in New Mexico that was too good to pass up. One of the first things I did was have Satellite TV specials installed so I wouldn't miss any of my Penguins games. I try to make it home at least twice a year so I can see both of my favorite teams play a home game. The rest of the time, I will host parties at my house. I have so many black and gold decorations that my friends all poke fun at my obsession. It's okay though. It's a small price to pay for being a fan of two awesome teams so far from home. It's funny though. When I first moved here, I was the only fan. In the 15 years I have been here, I have managed to convert over a dozen friends to the 'Burgh mentality.

No comments:

Post a Comment