Sunday, December 5, 2010

Adult Basketball League

Guest written by our friend Katie Callahan

There are a couple adult basketball leagues that I participate in every season in the Portland, OR metro area. The first is the Men's C League which is run by a private organization. The games are held at local facilities such as the "Y" or most of the public high school gymnasiums. In the past, I have played games through this organization at grade school playgrounds but this is a rare occurrence. My house is in a lower income neighborhood and so I make sure to set my adt home security alarm before I go out to play hoops. The other organization I participate in is a confederation of churches. The main reason for playing with this league is that I am an older gentleman and the league is strictly for men above the age of forty. There are a couple rules against profanity and the captains of most teams are men that have been affiliated with the league for at least a couple seasons. While the level of competition is not always there, it has consistently been a nice place to meet friends and get involved in games of poker or chess. The chance for camaraderie with fellow baby boomers is something I take full advantage of. The Portland, OR adult basketball league scene is worth one's time and there are also leagues for women.

No comments:

Post a Comment